Title:Social movements and civil war : when protests for democratization fail Author(s):DELLA PORTA, Donatella; DONKER, Teije Hidde; HALL, Bogumila; POLJAREVIC, Emin; RITTER, Daniel P.Date:2018Citation:
- London : Routledge, 2018
Type:BookAbstract:The main aim of this volume is to develop a theoretical explanation of the conditions under which and the mechanisms through which social movements’ struggles for democracy end up in civil war. While the empirical evidence ...
Title:Partecipazione e movimenti sociali Author(s):BIORCIO, Roberto; DELLA PORTA, DonatellaDate:2013Citation:
- Gianfranco PASQUINO, Marta REGALIA and Marco VALBRUZZI (eds), Quarant’anni di scienza politica in Italia, Bologna : Il Mulino, 2013, Percorsi, pp. 93-106
Type:Contribution to bookSeries/Number:[COSMOS]
Title:Paths to February 15 Protest: Social or Political Determinants? Author(s):DELLA PORTA, DonatellaDate:2010Citation:
- Stefaan WALGRAVE and Dieter RUCHT (eds), The World Says No to War. Demonstrations against the War on Iraq, Minneapolis, The University of Minnesota Press, 2010, 119-140, Social Movements, Protest, and Contention, Volume 33
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:On the bases of empirical evidence from a survey on participants to the Global day of action against the war on Iraq (on February 15th 2003) in eight countries, the chapter explains paths of participation on the basis of ...
Title:Mouvements sociaux et violence politique Author(s):DELLA PORTA, DonatellaDate:2010Citation:
- Xavier CRETTIEZ and Laurent MUCCHIELLI (eds), Les violence politiques en Europe. Un état des lieux, Paris, Editions La Découverte, 2010, 271-292
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:Social movement studies and political violence studies have grown quite apart from each other. The chapter summarizes existing research in the field and suggests potential use of concepts and hypotheses developed in social ...
Title:Mouvements sociaux, terrorisme et institutions Author(s):DELLA PORTA, DonatellaDate:2010Citation:
- Marc LAZAR and Marie-Anne MATARD BONUCCI (eds), L’Italie des années de plomb : le terrorisme entre histoire et mémoire, Paris, Autrement, 2010, 164-177, Collection Mémoires
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:This chapter looks at radicalization processes in Italy in the 1970s, addressing the interactions between (new left) social movements, (right-wing) counter-movements and the state. The theoretical model suggests a relational ...
Title:Reinventing Europe. Social Movement Activists as Critical Europeanists Author(s):DELLA PORTA, DonatellaDate:2010Citation:
- Simon TEUNE (ed.), The Transnational Condition. Protest Dynamics in an Entangled Europe, New York/Oxford, Berghahn Books, 2010, 113-128
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:This chapter reports on results of surveys with activists participating in different editions of the European social forum. It argues that, even thought they tend to express strong criticism of the EU political and policy ...
Title:Movimenti sociali, terrorismo, istituzioni Author(s):DELLA PORTA, DonatellaDate:2010Citation:
- Marc LAZAR and Marie Anne MATARD-BONUCCI (eds), Il libro degli anni di piombo. Storia e memoria del terrorismo italiano, Milano, Rizzoli, 2010, 175-190
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:This chapter presents an analysis of the evolution of left-wing political violence in Italy. It points at the relevance of a relational analysis, that takes into account the interactions of differen actors as well as their ...
Title:Movimenti sociali e Stato democratico Author(s):DELLA PORTA, DonatellaDate:2010Citation:
- Alessandro PIZZORNO (ed.), La democrazia di fronte allo stato. Una discussione sulle difficoltà della politica moderna, Milano, Feltrinelli, 2010, Annali della Fondazione Feltrinelli, 193-232
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:The chapter analyses the evolution of conceptions and practices of democracies in social movements in the last three centuries. It looks at the role played by social movements before first democratization through the ...
Title:Social Movement Studies and Transnationalization: An uneasy relation or a happy start? An afterword Author(s):DELLA PORTA, DonatellaDate:2011Citation:
- Hara KOUKI and Eduardo ROMANOS FRAILE (eds), Protest beyond Borders: Contentious Politics in Europe since 1945, Oxford/New York, Berghahn books, 2011, Protest, Culture & Society, Volume 5, 200-207
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:This afterword to a collection on transnational social movements reconstructs the evolution of the relations between international relations and social movements as fields of studies.
Title:Social Movements Author(s):DELLA PORTA, Donatella; DIANI, MarioDate:2011Citation:
- Michael EDWARDS (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Civil Society, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2011, 68-79
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:This chapter explores the interactions between the social science literature ion social movements and civil society, and considers both differences and similarities in their conceptualization as well as in the actual ...