Title:Democracy and the cartelization of political parties Author(s):KATZ, Richard S.; MAIR, PeterDate:2018Citation:
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2018
Type:BookAbstract:Political parties have long been recognized as essential institutions of democratic governance. Both the organization of parties, and their relationships with citizens, the state, and each other have evolved since the rise ...
Title:Is Governing Becoming More Contentious? Author(s):MAIR, PeterDate:2011Citation:
- Martin ROSEMA, Bas DENTERS and Kees AARTS (eds), How Democracy Works: Political Representation and Policy Congruence in Modern Societies, Amsterdam, Amsterdam University Press, Pallas Publications, 2011, 77-86
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:For a variety of reasons, political parties in European democracies are now more likely to be judged on how they govern rather than on the substantive policy programmes that they advocate. This is likely to have a number ...
Title:The Election in Context Author(s):MAIR, PeterDate:2011Citation:
- Michael GALLAGHER and Michael MARSH (eds), How Ireland Voted 2011: The full story of Ireland's earthquake election, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, 2011, 283-297
Type:Contribution to bookAbstract:In present circumstances...democracy in Ireland is also becoming a democracy without choices, one in which elections might continue to be full of drama, sound and fury, but in which the outcomes signify little.
Title:Conclusion: Party Patronage in Contemporary Europe Author(s):KOPECKÝ, Petr; MAIR, PeterDate:2012Citation:
- Petr KOPECKÝ, Peter MAIR and Maria SPIROVA (eds), Party Patronage and Party Government in European Democracies, Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2012, Comparative Politics, 357-374
Type:Contribution to book
Title:On parties, party systems and democracy : selected writings of Peter Mair Author(s):MAIR, PeterDate:2014Citation:
- Colchester : ECPR Press, 2014, ECPR Essays
Type:BookAbstract:This collection brings together some of the most significant and influential work by leading comparativist Peter Mair (1951–2011). The selection ranges from considerations on the relevance of concept formation to the study ...
Title:Partidos, sistemas de partidos y democracia : la obra esencial de Peter Mair Author(s):MAIR, PeterDate:2015Citation:
- Buenos Aires : Eudeba, 2015
Type:BookAbstract:Este libro presenta por primera vez en idioma español una selección de la obra de Peter Mair, seguramente el autor contemporáneo más influyente entre los estudiosos de los partidos políticos. Las transformaciones organizativas ...
Title:Representative Government in Modern Europe, 5th revised edition Author(s):GALLAGHER, Michael; LAVER, Michael; MAIR, PeterDate:2011Citation:
- London, McGraw-Hill, 2011
Type:BookAbstract:With a total population of some 500 million, the unified countries of modern Europe constitute the world's largest collection of successful capitalist democracies. Yet within it, there are distinct clusters of states, each ...
Title:Accountability and European Governance Editor(s):CURTIN, Deirdre; MAIR, Peter; PAPADOPOULOS, YannisDate:2010Citation:
- Abingdon, Routledge, 2010, West European politics, 33, 5
Type:BookAbstract:In recent years there has been a considerable effort in some transnational organizations and institutions to confront a crisis of legitimacy by promising more accountability and openness. This volume takes as its central ...
Title:Ruling the void : the hollowing of western democracy Author(s):MAIR, PeterDate:2013Citation:
- London ; New York : Verso, 2013
Type:BookAbstract:Chilling account of the end of party democracy, by the leading political scientist. In the long-established democracies of Western Europe, electoral turnouts are in decline, membership is shrinking in the major parties, ...